Friday, April 1, 2011

The First Post - An Introduction.

I am too excited about this new blog to wait until April 27th to start posting, so I decided I would do an "introduction" sort of post, although chances are you know me, or you at least read my other blog. This is more or less the set up of my new blog, and the ideas around my new adventure. I'm really excited to be taking this step towards a great career, and I'm going to kind of give you a bit of a background on my change of career goals, and where I plan to end up!

I went to Simon Fraser University for 6 semesters as a Music and Sociology student with really no goals, no ideas on what I was going to do when I got out of school, and to be perfectly honest, not really enjoying school very much at all. I was wasting my money going to a school I thought I needed to go to, but in the middle of my last semester, I realized there was something out there better than what I was doing.

I had a bit of an epiphany, if you can call it that, while I was dying my hair one day. Changing my hair has always been something I love to do. I started streaking my hair when I was in grade 5, which means I've been in the process of chemically changing my hair for the last 10 years. I realized that I loved doing stuff with my hair, I loved being the person my friends go to when they are thinking about changing up their hair, and to top it all off, I'm GOOD at those things. Not only am I good at it, but I love doing it. I love talking about hair, I love changing my hair, I love buying new products and doing new things... I realized this was a logical move for me (although some people thought it was a strange move), and with some encouragement from friends and family, I began my search for the hairdressing school I wanted to go to.

I looked at so many hairdressing schools I can't even begin to tell you. I did research on the best places to go, the kinds of products used, the amount of hands on time, how much money it would cost me to go.... after much calculating, several interviews and tours of different schools around the Lower Mainland, I made up my mind. I saw so many people, did so much searching, and I found the place that was absolutely the best choice for me. The Vancouver Hairdressing Academy

So I applied, I was accepted, and now I start on April 27th! I'm very excited to get a move on into my new career, and to start planning my life with a real job in the picture! I'm hoping to be working in a salon by the end of the year... and maybe once I have some experience under my belt and some money in my pocket it's my dream to own my own Salon. This is a long term goal, but I think it's good to have those kinds of things! I think this is a great change for me, and a good chance to explore a whole new world of practical skill vs. degrees, and I'm sure I'm going to love my move!

As this blog is called Secrets of a Salon Student, I figured I should offer up one of my secrets that keeps my hair amazing despite all the colouring, product, and heat that I use on my hair! I may not be a salon student just yet, but I do have a few great tricks up my sleeve that keeps my hair pretty dang soft, smooth and healthy.

I one thing that I swear by are hair masques and hot oil treatments. I've always used masques and hot oil, but a couple of days ago I went out and bought some Bumble and Bumble hair product (which is now available at Sephora if your salon doesn't use or sell it!) and man, this stuff is the real deal! I bought the Creme de Coco hair masque, and it is amazing. It smells like cocoa butter (which means it smells like vacation!) and it left my hair SO SOFT.

I just realized I never really explained what a hair masque is. It's really a conditioner that you leave in for an extended period of time rather than rinsing out right away like regular daily conditioner. This one says to leave it in for 7 minutes or more (I left it in for about 10) and it feels amazing, it smells amazing, and my hair has really never been softer after a deep conditioning masque! If I could suggest any hair masque, at this moment in time it is FOR SURE the Creme de Coco Hair Masque from Bumble and Bumble.

I also bought Bumble and Bumble's Prep. This stuff is also amazing, but for a different reason.

Prep does what it sounds like, it preps your hair for styling by helping to detangle, condition, and refresh hair before you put the rest of your daily product in. It helps to equally distribute product through your hair, and it doesn't weigh it down (which is great for people like me who have really fine hair!) Prep also does another great thing... it helps to reactivate product already in your hair throughout the day when you feel your hair going flat, or if the rain and wind destroy all your hard work! This stuff is a god send for people with fine hair like me who have a hard time keeping the volume or style that you worked so hard for!

In any case, I was so excited to post to this blog, it feels great to know there isn't a big empty space on my blog now. In 26 days, you will start to see a lot more from me on this blog! I'm looking forward to sharing some great tips, tricks and secrets of a salon student!

Love your hair!

Kyleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment